Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The George Pictures Are Finally Here!

What a trip! A friend and I had a wonderful time in San Antonio. We went for the George Strait Team Rope Classic. It was a two day event. The first day we sat and watched for 11 1/2 hours! They had over 500 teams competing for the $174,000.00 jackpot along with a brand new truck and trailer for EACH of the winning roping team. I had a great time just taking pictures. I got a new telephoto lens right before I went (thank you Jerry!) and ended up taking 28 GB of pictures! It was tough to narrow it down but here are a few of my favorites.











The above pictures are great but THESE are my absolute favorites! This was a very small event and we got to be real close and even shake hands with George! As it turned out the friend I went with has a friend in San Antonio that grooms dogs. She happens to groom the dogs of a lady that lives two doors down from George. She asked if this lady would show us George's house. This very nice lady, whom we've never met, came to our hotel in her brand new red Lexus and took us to their subdivision (a gated community, of course). She drove us by his driveway (you can't see the house from the drive) and took us down the street to get a picture of his house on the hill. She also took us by his old house in the same subdivision which she actually lived in the house next door at the time. She had several neat stories to tell about her neighbor, George. They have been neighbors for the past 23 years. She admitted she doesn't listen to country music and doesn't know any of his songs! She did say, however, he is one of the nicest, down to earth, no frills guys you'd ever meet. It's refreshing to see someone so famous that has not let it go to their head. He's been married to his high school sweetheart for almost 40 years, now that says something in this day and age! George's neighbor asked if we wanted to see her house as well, we were all over that! I've never been in anything like it! Seven thousand square feet, 22 foot ceilings and absolutely beautiful! The neatest thing was her humbleness. She was concerned we would think she was bragging by showing us her house. She wasn't at all, in fact she just kept saying that they've worked hard and that the Lord had blessed them financially. I guess! My whole house would fit in her bedroom suite! She was an absolutely lovely lady and what an opportunity for us!




This is George right after roping the first time. I'm surprised the picture is as clear as it is because I was shaking and perspiring profusely! I was so excited and desperately wanting to get the best shots!



George hanging out waiting to present the awards (the truck behind him).




You roped him George!


His main house. Just a tiny thing isn't it? However, we got to drive by his ranch house down the road from the arena and it looked like something Jerry and I would live in...very modest, except for the horse arena in the back yard!


We met the nicest people at this event. We made some friends and I look forward to seeing them next year when I go back, wild horses couldn't keep me away!

No comments: