It is finished!! Well for all practical purposes it is. I still need to hang pictures and strip and paint the door but basically, I'm done. My craft/scrapbook/storage room has been called "the ugly room" since before we moved in. While packing, I even marked the boxes to go in that room as "ugly room" and no one questioned which room that was. Its yellow/gold shag carpet, yellow and white striped wallpaper and chipping, peeling, yellow painted trim, made the room one UGLY place to be. I had a vision of a pleasant place to scrapbook and be creative but the work to be done was overwhelming. I started on it last spring by pulling up some of the carpet that I could get to, which wasn't much because the room was so packed with junk. I also tried to strip the wallpaper, but found it wasn't coming off the never painted plaster walls underneath. My solution...paintable wallpaper, which I bought months ago. Then, this fall I was forced to get busy on the room when we had the hardwood floors refinished upstairs. Couple that with Jerry getting me a new computer that was still sitting in the box after 3 weeks because I had no place to set everything up got me motivated... finally. Then, I realized I didn't have enough wallpaper and Lowe's didn't carry it anymore. AARRRGGGGHHH!!! After much time on the phone I tracked down 1 roll in Kansas on the the clearance rack for $1. Jerry was out that way picked it up and I thought I was all set. Then I realized I had miscounted how many rolls and had one less than I thought. So, I scrimped and saved and pieced all over the place and I had enough! I was on a mission and completed the room. It took me 8 days, yes I know I'm slow, but the trim had to be scraped, sanded, primed, painted, the paper hung and painted and I had to organize and get rid of a LOT of stuff. I did it and am very pleased. What to call it now, I'm not sure, but in my opinion, it's definitely not ugly!
The before: (isn't it awful?!)



The after:


4 comments:
IT IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS STEPHANIE!!!! YES I KNOW I AM YELLING!!!! I LOVE it!!!!! It is absolutely perfect and SO worth all of the hard work!!! Definitely can't call that room ugly anymore!!!!!!! I would love to just go and sit in that room!!!!! I am definitely keeping these pictures marked, so if I ever get to design my own room, I will use these as inspiration!! I am SO glad you shared!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!
WOW! I love it! You were right, you were decorating exactly what I am in love with right now!! I wish I could see the detail of the wallpaper! I can't believe it only took 8 days for all that work! I would have taken 8 months! Way to go, hard work and persistence ALWAYS pay off!
OHGoodness!! :) That could compete on a home improvement show for greatest transformation. You did a simply amazing job. I LOVE IT. I so wish I could have been there organizing and painting with you. Your house has been lovingly transformed into its former grandeur. You have been given an amazing talent! Can't wait to see it again soon!!!
Beautiful! You should be a decorator!
Post a Comment