Sunday, June 21, 2009

One LESS Mouth To Feed, Or Should I Say A Dozen

Last weekend I let the new chicks out of the chicken house and into their yard. One chick was able to squeeze out of their fencing and before I knew it she was a gonner. I found Yellow Dog munching away. Later, much to my dismay, I found Milo attempting to snack on a full grown chicken. I had let the chickens out for the first time since Milo's arrival and I guess the bird dog instinct kicked in. I couldn't round the chickens back into their yard so all day I kept looking out to see if the two dogs were behaving. I was full of trepidation upon leaving that evening for Jerry's birthday. I worried the whole time. While we were dining on Mexican the dogs were dining on chicken and duck. When I pulled up to the house, I was met with the biggest chicken/duck massacre I've ever seen. Bird body parts and feathers all over the sidewalk, patio and yard. I'll spare you the pictures. I went to the chicken house and counted heads. Not good. The worst part was they got 3 of the 4 ducks. Yellow knew...he was slinking around the yard like a whipped puppy (and he wasn't even whipped yet). Milo, on the other hand was gleefully greeting me, tail wagging with a belly full of chicken. There was going to be no taking the bird out of the bird dog now. I was NOT happy! Milo had to go. He had taken quite a hold of our hearts in the 3 short weeks we had him. He's a great pup but had no conscience about the chickens. A friend took Milo the next day and seems to be working out great (fenced yard, in town, NO chickens for miles!) Hopefully we'll be able to cure Yellow off the wild turkey, er, I mean chicken so he can stay. If not, anyone want a great yellow lab that has a weakness for chicken dinners?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I witnesses a similar massacre with our dog and our chickens. . .one of us didn't lock the gate right. Needless to say, we didn't have any chickens left when we arrived home. Not a pretty sight.

Prachar family said...

Oh DEAR! I don't know when the massacre of innocent fowl was ever quite so hilarious!! Sorry about losing Milo too (stifling giggles). Wiping my eyes now so I can read the "code" below to get my comment accepted!