



There are some people in this world that are born leaders. They excel in organizing, directing, overseeing, planning and making sure the job gets done. My sister is one of them. The reason why her kids are excelling in 4-H is because of her. She started the club, plans the meetings, steps in as project leader when no one else will while also running the club. She has the kids best interest at heart and makes sure each meeting has an interesting and educational subject. They log many volunteer hours as well. Her children and many others will reap the benefits of her (and Marty's) labor for years to come. I'm proud of her for taking the initiative to start and continue in a such huge undertaking. Their county 4-H fair was this past week and I attended the awards ceremony. I had a chance to check out all the exhibits beforehand. While their fair is not what is was back in my day, you have to give the few hardworkers (I'm speaking of leaders) a hand. It was so obvious that the work of just a few make it possible for these kids to grow up with the 4-H experience. My nieces and nephew did very well. Meredith took Grand Champion in Vet. Science as well as a Self-Determined Project(all her donkey projects). Amelia and Harrison are in Clover Kids and received the "Green Rosette" for their projects. Amelia hatched out chicks and raised them and Harrison made a gingerbread house and cat toys. It is quite evident that these kids would not have the same opportunity if it were not for their mother. Thanks Stacey (and other 4-H leaders) for all your time and hard work. It may not seem worth it at times right now but just give it a few years!
I pledge my head to clearer thinking; my heart to greater loyalty; my hands to larger service and my health to better living for my club, my community, my country and my world.
I still remember it after 20+ years. Thank you to all the leaders and my parents for making my 4-H experience what it was.


2 comments:
Wow what great memories! I do miss those 4-H days, We all are the adults today because of those great leaders.
Thank you again for the kind words. I needed that so badly after the "incident" with the parents. I appreciate you reminding me that it IS worth it even when it doesn't feel that way!
Post a Comment