Well my birthday dawned bright and early. We had to be back on the fairgrounds by 7:30 to be ready for our 8:30 show. The day started crummy with me leaving the tickets to get into the fair in my stall. I had to run a mile to get them and back to the truck so we could get in. It set the tone for my day. When we finally got back to the stall and Sugar, the standard jenny I was showing, refused to go to the wash rack... I said I was done. I had my little emotional, "I'm stressed" breakdown. Jerry informed me I was setting a bad example of not following through for Mollie. I hate being a parent sometimes! I wanted to quit! Now I have to be accountable to someone! So I got Sugar back out and quickly got her ready for the show (no bath). Now this jenny has never in her probably 9 years been in public and we didn't quite know what to expect. We made it to the Matthewson o.k in spite of trucks and trams passing us. However she did not like one bit being tied to the wall. Every time peoples chairs squeaked or the announcer came over the P.A. sytem she got upset. She was bouncing around and kicking, wanting to get the heck out of there. I had no anticipation of placing with her. I was just a body in the show. It was on probation and if they didn't get a certain number of exhibitors it was history. So, I entered with a standard jenny given to me this spring. She was the only standard in the jenny class, the rest were mammoths, which made her look like a pipsqueak! When our turn came the judge asked us to trot away from her and go around an orange cone (yeah, right!) that didn't happen, those orange cones are mighty scary and trot, what's that?! She did, however do alright in the line up and shockingly took 2nd place! Not too bad for a free donkey that had never been anywhere and wasn't halter broke when I got her! Maybe we'll even try it again next year!
Me and Sugar:


Hey, Sugar wasn't the only one afraid of the orange cone! We got a kick out of our friends pushing their mammoth jenny around it! Maybe we'll invest in one to set in the field!


Also congratulations to our friend Jean on taking Grand Champion with her baby mammoth jenny, isn't she a cutie!
No comments:
Post a Comment