Nature sucks, there, I've said it (actually twice now) but it does. The guinea's little chick (see previous post) disappeared Saturday and there was a dead possum in the yard (could there be a connection? Maybe momma guinea unleashed her wrath on him after he murdered her only child...we'll never know). Also, Mollie and I came home the other day to discover that something had gotten "Milk", one of the geese (in broad daylight). She(?) was gone, vanished into thin air while "Quackers" was frantically scouring the yard to find her best friend. We found a dead chicken and just a few feet away a handful of gray feathers (Milks). Also, the black and white duck was gone as well. In the front yard I found a pile of black rooster tail feathers so I went to see if they got the twin roosters. Luckily they hadn't but both roosters are tailess. They must have out run whatever was chasing them. We've decided that it must have been a coyote. It had to be big enough to haul off that big ol' goose. I'm sure he was lurking in the corn, watching everybody stroll around the yard, just waiting for the opportune time to pounce. I know they need to eat but why my chickens (and ducks and geese!)? Nature sucks.
In memorium:
"Black and White Duck"

"Milk"
1 comment:
The food chain in action is never a pretty picture...sorry for your losses. What lessons your little one gets. Life is valuable, you never know when it may be the last time you see someone (or something).
Post a Comment