Thursday, September 25, 2008

Something is always dying or getting hurt around here!

Well this morning I went to the barn at 7:00 to check on the 5 jennies about to pop when something caught my eye. Truman, a 6 month old jack that knows no boundaries (he comes and goes through the electric fence at his leisure and at any given time may be standing at the back door), had his entire head and one front leg through the cattle panel fencing around our barn lot. There was no getting him out without cutting the fence. He put his head through and once those big ears went through he couldn't back out. I ran and got Jerry to find the bolt cutters and he cut the fence and we eased him through. He just laid there, totally worn out and rubbed raw. I doctored him up and 30 minutes later he got up and ate some grain. I was lucky, I know of 2 people whose mule/donkey had halters on that caught on the fence and they both died. That is why I don't leave halters on. I don't think he had been caught too awfully long or we probably would have lost him. He'll be fine, he's just real sore. I'm glad I found him early, I just hate when something kicks over on me!

1 comment:

Prachar family said...

I was so relieved to hear Truman didn't die!! I didn't want to hear of you being traumatized by another death, or the need for the tractor...!
Travis