Last Thursday, after taking Mollie to school, I drove up the driveway to find one of our cats laying there. I thought she looked odd so I walked over to find that she could not use her back legs. That didn't stop her from dragging herself into the building and to her kittens. Of course I was heartbroke for her and after thinking it all out decided that I must have "run over" her. Of course my vet was off that day and I have a husband that doesn't spend hundreds of dollars on paraplegic cats. He was gone and sent Grandpa over to put her down. But I couldn't do it. She acted too good. She drug herself over to the feed bowl some 20 feet away when I poured some. That didn't sound to me like a cat in agony. I ended up calling a new vet and taking her there just for an opinion. He checked her out and said she had feeling in her legs. He said that either her spinal column was crushed or it was injured and swollen. If it was the latter there was a chance that when the swelling went down she might be able to walk again. He said to give her a few days which would get the kittens that much older to be able to eat on their own if we had to put her down. I have watched this cat for 6 days now. Every time you pour food, here she comes. Sometimes she's not with her kittens and we find her outside. What an inspiration. Nothing seems to stop her. She is now even dragging herself to the litter pan. What a will to live. I can't put her down and after talking to my friend a vet, I've decided that if she's not in pain, and seems to be content I'm not going to unless problems arise, even if she doesn't walk again. I am hopeful, however, because twice now I've seen her stand up on one back leg for just a second. I know it sounds odd but every time I look at this cat I think of Tammy. Nothing would stop her. When she couldn't walk she "drug" herself around. She went on with life and it's responsibilities, fighting, until one day she got strong enough to walk again. She was such an inspiration to so many people and this little, black cat is a reminder of that for me.
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment