Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You That September Day?

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love


Alan Jackson


Where were you that September day? I'll never forget where I was and I'm sure everyone that reads this hasn't either. I was at work when someone coming in heard it on the way there and turned on the t.v. I was shocked and it didn't start to really sink in for several hours. All of us kept running to do a little part of our job and then back to the t.v. I'll never forget the traffic on my way home. The packed gas stations and cars waiting in line for blocks. I remember the eerie quiet outside when I got home. But most of all I remember the overwhelming feeling of impending doom and helplessness.

Let us all remember the people that perished, the people that rushed in to help and the families that remain. Keep praying for God's mercy and blessings on our nation and the safety of our homeland. But most of all, not forget that "faith, hope and love are some good things he gave us and the greatest is love."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was in a classroom full of sixth graders, when a friend of mine popped in the room and tried to whisper to me what was going on. I wasn't getting it, so she turned on the TV. A few minutes later, the 2nd plane hit while we were watching. Then the Pentagon. I too remember the lines out on the highway for gas and the eeriness with no planes overhead. Great post.