Sunday, January 3, 2010

This Is What It's All About





Mollie really likes making cards and was making some Christmas cards when the idea popped in my head to make a card for each resident of our local nursing home. I asked her what she thought about it and her response was, "Mom, will it give them joy?" What a kid. I told her yes so we set out making cards. I figured there was probably 40 residents, 40 cards, we could do that. I called the home to get a number and was surprised to find out it was 102! (that day, I was told to check each day because the number changes; isn't that sad?). Oh my, tall order for a 5 year old! It took us 2 weeks. We worked on a few each day, I had to help because Mollie was spending about 15 minutes on each card! That would never work! So I set out stamping the front and the sentiment inside and she added stickers and signed her name in all 105 cards that we cranked out. We made arrangements the day before Christmas Eve to pass them out. Mollie, Jerry and I along with the help of the activites director set out to pass out the cards. Mollie delivered 94 cards and greeted all 94 people with a "Merry Christmas", told them her name and answered any questions or compliments VERY mannerly (I knew she had those manners somewhere in her!). I've spent plenty of time in a nursing home but this visit really put things into perspective. We are so blessed. The residents were thrilled to get a visit by a little girl and I think it was a great experience for her as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally commend and thank you for doing this with your daughter. If more people would take the time to think of others what a different world we would live in. I have such fond memories of visiting nursing homes as a kid. I hope this is something she will look forward to in years to come. Good work!