Part of the herd waiting for their trim.
Jerry twitching Martha as nervous sister, Mary look on.Yesterday was hoof trim day. I'm not sure my farrier likes me or not! Every time he comes he complains about how bad my donkeys are. They are perfect angels for me. I tell him they just flat out don't like him. The only time they see him is when he comes to mess with their feet. Or it might just be the sheer numbers that we do, there's bound to be a few ornery ones! Yesterday was light day, we only did 22, last time it was 35! However it was a big day. Mary and Martha were getting theirs done. Mary and Martha (whom I call the "big girls") are a pair of black, standard donkeys (about 44 inches at the withers, mini's are 36" and under), full sisters, 7 and 5 years old respectively, totally inseparable and had never been handled their entire lives. They were given to me by a friend just over a year ago and luckily had not had to have a hoof trim until now. I've worked with them some and had them to the point of taking treats out of my hand and able to pet them if they were in a small pen. However this week was crunch week to be able to get halters on and tied to be able to trim. I prevailed! Monday I put halters on without much trouble. I did rodeo a little bit when I put a lead rope on and tried to walk them, Martha did more trotting away but I won. Don't get me wrong these girls are extrememly sweet and if they see you come out the back door they come right to the fence, you just don't touch them! But that's all going to change. When the guys went to trim they started with Mary and I was amazed that she just stood there. Then the other guy started on Martha, who wouldn't have any part of the trimming business. Jerry had to twitch her, then she wouldn't lift her back foot. They had to tie it up. Obviously when Martha got upset, Mary got a little upset but it didn't last long as I started shoving apple treats in her mouth. Long story short, both girls got trimmed and wormed. When done they must not have been too traumatized because they kept wandering up to the farrier and sniffing him, practically touching him with their noses. I have big plans for these girls, I want to try to take them to the State Fair to the big jenny show and they also would make an awesome team to pull a wagon as their size and color are practically identical. These girls are a great lesson in love, loyality and devotion. I've never seen them bicker and they are never more than just a few feet apart if not just a few inches. If one turns her head, so does the other, if one takes a step the other is right there to follow. Maybe a few marriages could learn something from observing these two donkeys near and dear to my heart.
Note: Mollie slept during the entire hoof trimming party, I woke her up at 11:45 a.m., obviously a sick girl but doing better now.


2 comments:
Glad to hear she is better. Sounds like a fun party! Couldn't miss your PERFECT new header! LOVE it! Trying not to be compeltely GREEN with envy...suppose you could teach me how to do something like that??
Travis
By the way, don't forget I tagged you for 5 things you hate to admit!
Travis
Post a Comment