Thursday, October 2, 2008

Continuation of last post

Well I'm finally getting around to finishing my post from a couple of days ago. You know, the not so great part of this past week. Monday morning I went to feed and the new spotted jenny born the morning of Mollie's party wasn't right. Her lower lip was hanging and she was very lethargic. Also, not to gross you out (which by the way it gets much worse so for the faint of heart you may just want to skip this post) she had some blood on her donkey backside. I called Dana, my friend, the large animal vet (what would I do without her!). She had me take her temp and give her a shot of pen. Baby's temp was five degrees under normal so I picked her up and headed for the house. When I did, the blood started streaming down the front of me from her behind. I got her in the kitchen, covered her with blankets, ran and got Mollie ready for school all the while she keeps trying to stand up but can't. I put her in the front seat of my truck with lots of blankets and towels so the blood wouldn't soak my seat (there was plenty of it, she just kept passing it). I put Mollie in the truck and we headed to school (by the way, I have foul smelling blood down the front of my jeans and on my hands, I'm sure the parents and teacher were wondering about me!) and then to the vet clinic to pick up another drug. To make a real long story short, she flopped on the floorboard of my truck a couple of times and I had to pull over to get her back up. I got the drug, gave her the shot there, came home and fixed her a spot in the stall. I went and got her mom to put in with her and then went to clean up my kitchen floor and truck. My friend Stephanie, who always comes to my animal catastrophe rescue, showed up and bleached my truck. I then went to pick up Mollie from school and went I got home baby was gone. HAVE I MENTIONED BEFORE, I HATE IT WHEN ANIMALS KICK OVER ON ME?!!! It took some doing to get the momma out of the stall but I moved her then cried. You'd think it wouldn't bother me anymore! Well she most probably had E-coli (momma's milk must not have cut it) and got septic, so I've had to clean and bleach the stall and not let anyone in the area the baby was in for two weeks. I have 4 more babies due in the next couple of weeks so I'm sure I'll be paranoid until they are a couple of weeks old. Every day it's something new! I'll post a pic of her soon, she was cute. Now she's joined the others in donkey heaven! By the way, it's always the jenny's that die, never the jacks, probably because they are worth a lot more!

No comments: